“I don’t think anyone could have said anything to make me stop. But your lungs will most likely look like this too if you’ve been smoking,” the teen warned.
A teen has posted photos of his collapsed lungs on social media to warn people against vaping.
Chance Ammirata, 18, shared his story with the New York Post. A year and a half ago, Ammirata started vaping. He had never smoked before, and he was under the impression that vaping was safe. Then he had to be rushed to the ER, and believes his collapsed lung was caused by toxic chemicals in the Juul pod he inhaled.
Ammirata first had a pain in his side, and initially thought he pulled a muscle. The next day, “It felt like my chest was collapsing, like I was having a heart attack.” Once he was in the hospital, he had to have a tube put in his chest to keep his lung inflated.
After surgery, a doctor told him, “Whatever you’ve been smoking has been leaving these black dots on your lungs” and it would take years to potentially heal them.
Because of the black spots on his lungs, Ammirata won’t be able to do cross-country running or scuba diving, and he won’t be able to fly on a plane for a while either. He then went on social media with a warning:
“You thought Juuls were safe. So did I. The black dots on my lungs are all [remnants] of juuling. I’ve been doing it for a year and a half and can never do it again. You really shouldn’t either. I know how hard it is to change anyone’s mind who’s addicted because I was too. And I don’t think anyone could have said anything to make me stop. But your lungs will most likely look like this too if you’ve been smoking.”
Ammirata concluded his posts by pleading, “Don’t let it get worse. Please stop. Like really please. It’s so fucking scary.”
In response to Ammirata’s story, a spokesperson for Juul stated, “We have no higher priority than consumer safety… We have robust safety monitoring systems in place and will vigilantly monitor for any evidence of safety issues as we continue to combat youth usage and eliminate cigarettes, the number one cause of preventable death in the world.”