Her family asks that people not pry and speculate during their time of mourning.
Gabrielle Crahan, the youngest daughter of Slipknot drummer Shawn Crahan, has died at 22 years old. Her sudden passing came just days after she shared a photo of her five month sobriety chip on Instagram.
“FIVE MONTHS,” Gabrielle wrote in the caption of her photo of the red Alcoholics Anonymous chip.
Shawn, who is known as “clown” in Slipknot, shared the news on the band’s official Instagram account.
“It is with a broken heart, and from a place of the deepest pain, that I have to inform all of you that my youngest daughter, Gabrielle, passed away yesterday – Saturday May 18th, 2019. She was 22 years old,” he wrote alongside a black-and-white photo of Gabrielle. “Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. My family and I ask that our privacy be respected moving forward. Thank you. Much love, clown.”
Gabrielle’s older sister, Alexandria, also shared words of mourning. Posting a childhood photo of herself and Gabrielle, she lamented the loss.
“Yesterday my little sister Gabrielle passed away. I am in shock and have no idea how to process the wave of emotions I am experiencing. The comforts I have in these moments are my family, friends, and cats,” she wrote. “Please put good energy out for my parents and my brothers. This loss leaves the biggest hole and our lives will never be the same. 22 is too young to die.”
Alexandria also took it upon herself to combat the prying questions around whether Gabrielle died of an overdose or suicide.
“She died yesterday. Stop speculating stop with the assumptions if you’re going to be negative, leave my family alone,” Alexandria wrote.
Gabrielle’s actual cause of death has not yet been made public knowledge.
This is not the first time that members of Slipknot have been affected by addiction. The band’s lead sober singer, Corey Taylor, has long struggled with addiction, as he’s shared before. Paul Gray, Slipknot’s bassist, tragically died of an overdose in 2010. Gray’s doctor was eventually held accountable for enabling Gray’s Xanax addiction.
“I just knew it was his drug of choice, that he’d struggled with it,” said his widow, Brenna Gray. “So I just wasn’t really sure why he was on it, why he needed it along with the medication he was taking for addiction.”