ARTICLE OVERVIEW:Many mushrooms have poisons which can do permanent harm to the body and, in some cases, even be fatal. This article aims to teach you the potential dangers as well as how to get emergency help. We invite your questions at the end.
“Bad trip” experiences which can be defined as a very unpleasant high.
Development of anxiety, panic attacks, or other mental health issues.
Possibility of taking a mushroom that holds poisonous properties.
Recurring flashbacks, an impairing condition some users feel long after their psilocybin use.
Certain conditions such as paranoia, turbulent mood, muddled thought pattern, and visual disruptions have been known to occur due to magic mushroom use. In fact, mental health issues can be triggered in people who take mushrooms, as psilocybin alters the brain’s chemistry. Furthermore, if a person were to take mushrooms in public and cause obscene behaviors due to psilocybin, they could face legal problems.
In the following 24 hours, you’ll experience heavy vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and extreme abdominal cramps.
The 24 hours after, you’ll begin to recover.
Afterwards, without the right kind of treatment, the kidney and liver will fail and death tends to occur. Blood begins to internally spill out and clots form.
If you or anyone you know has eaten a mushroom they aren’t sure about, it’s vital you seek medical attention. It should also be noted that in heavily serious instances, the individual will experience diarrhea after 6 hours of consumption.
People who consume will feel symptoms within 2 to 24 hours and can expect the following:
Death is prominently a possibility when a large amount of Gyromitrin is consumed, such as for food. Luckily, treatment is widely available. Consult a doctor if you’ve been led to believe you or a loved one has eaten a mushroom containing Gyromitrin.
This toxin and its derivatives will cause the body to react within 30 minutes to 2 hours after consumption and can be expected to last for several hours. The following symptoms will occur:
Luckily, there are no cases of death from this toxin. However, it has been known leave people in states similar to a coma for up to 24 hours. Due to the danger of this, it’s important to get medical treatment if you begin feeling the above symptoms from ingesting a mushroom.
This is another poisonous reaction in which most people recover. However, if the case is severe enough or if you’ve had respiratory problems in the past, respiratory failure is a possibility which can result in death.
Orellanine Poisoning and Kidney Failure
The problem with this toxin is these poisoning will not appear until some time after ingestion (sometimes up to 3 weeks) and the condition is very serious. Typically, after three days, the person who ingested it will feel:
Evidence or progression of kidney failure
Feelings of coldness/shivering
The biggest issue with Orellanine is there’s been no discovered treatment. Still, people have been known to recover when their kidney function is strong.
If you’re interested in learning more about the wrong type of mushrooms, The North American Mycological Association has compiled a list of common symptoms which occur. Plus, they’ve invited people who’ve experienced mushroom poisoning (whether small or big) to post about their experiences in order to increase our understanding of mushroom reactions.
Main Poisonous Reactions
Poisonous reactions include:
This is the most common poisonous reaction and usually occurs within 20 minutes to 4 hours after ingesting the mushrooms. Symptoms include:
Though this isn’t the most dangerous reaction, people can experience dehydration if not treated properly. Furthermore, there are instances of severe cases which require hospitalization.
Inside the mushrooms Amanita smithiana, A. proxima, and A. pseudoporphyria, there is an unknown toxin that manifests symptoms similar to Orellanine poisoning (see below), but are much more quick to set in. 4-11 hours after ingestion, a person who’s consumed any of the three mushrooms above will feel the following:
You should seek medical help as soon as possible if you or a loved one believes they consumed Amanita smithiana, A. proxima, or A. pseudoporphyria. They are found in America’s Pacific Northwest.
When it comes to accidentally consuming a poisonous mushroom, you’ll most likely need to visit the emergency room as soon as possible. This is due to the fact that symptoms can kick in quickly. Many times, the person who ate the mushroom isn’t entirely aware of the toxicity.
There are some cases where an emergency room isn’t necessary – where the harm caused by the poisons isn’t severe – however, unless you’re an expert on fungi species, the risk isn’t worth it.
Or, if you think that someone has eaten a wild mushroom, call Poison Control right away at 1-800-222-1222. Poison specialists will tell you exactly what to do. They will work with mycologists (mushroom identification experts) to find out what kind of mushroom it is. They will also work with the emergency room staff so you can get proper treatment.
Though research is aiming to find the good in these drugs, there’s always the flip side of the coin: hallucinations and mental illness. Especially for those who seek out mushrooms recreationally, rather than medically. Here are some of the main long-term effects of overuse of mushrooms:
Historically speaking, psychedelic mushrooms have been used for medical treatment, healing ceremonies, and spiritual rituals. However, most people DO NOT KNOW THAT PSILOCYBIN holds the potential for abuse. When someone seeks out mushrooms again and again, they face a high risk of becoming dependent on the experience. So, just like any psychoactive substance, regular use of mushrooms can lead to a psychological dependence or addiction.
How Does Someone Become Addicted to Mushrooms?
So, how can someone get addicted to magic mushrooms?
Unlike other drugs, such as heroin or cocaine, magic mushrooms do not cause a physical dependence. In other words, the body won’t adapt to the chemical structure of psilocybin and, therefore, feel a necessity for it when the drug wears off. Still, this isn’t to say the mind isn’t affected. In fact, since magic mushrooms are dominantly a psychoactive drug, the mind can form a habit of psychological dependence.
In turn, this leads individuals to use mushrooms as a means of dealing with life stressors (such as home, school, or work responsibilities). This results in compulsive behaviors which can spark cravings and, in the case of psychedelic substances, mood differences without the drug.
If you’re curious as to whether you or a loved one has an addiction or dependence to mushrooms, ask yourself the following questions:
Do you use psilocybin to deal with life stressors (i.e. school, work, relationships)?
Have you found you function better when under the influence of psilocybin?
Do you become anxious or distressed when you can’t use psilocybin?
Have you been on the lookout for psilocybin when you’re experiencing stress?
Do you find yourself only fantasizing about your psilocybin use rather than thinking about realistic, possible negative effects it could be having on you?
Do you engage in risky conduct due to your psilocybin use?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above questions, you or your loved one is most likely facing addiction. In order to get help, you should consult a doctor and seek a medical professional for the right treatment. You can also contact us at the phone number listed on this page.
Furthermore, you can always give us a call on the hotline number on this page. We’re here to help.
How Treatment Works
A reputable addictiontreatment programs will work with you and your specific case. In a reputable treatment facility, you can expect the following information to be taken in order for the professionals to find out more about your addiction:
How much/long/often you used and abused magic mushrooms.
Different roots within your life which may have caused addictive behavior.
Then, you’ll receive therapies that are fairly common when it comes to drug abuse. This is especially true when it comes to people who struggle with magic mushroom addiction as the core problem is psychological. The goal of therapies is to help you handle day-to-day emotions without the help of psychoactive drugs. When entering a treatment facility, you can expect to be offered the following:
Education about drug abuse and the damaging effect over your health
Individual and Group Counseling
Medication Assisted therapy
Integrated or Dual Diagnosis Therapy (if need for co-occurring mental health issues)
Relapse prevention training
If you have any more questions concerning what to do if you take a poisonous mushroom or mushroom addictiontreatment, we invite you to ask them below. If you have any advice to give on these topics, we’d also love to hear from you. We try to get back to everyone in a timely and personal manner.